i've tried making them quite awhile ago using some random recipe on the web, but i don't think it turned out quite the way the husband remembers it to be (i'm a fan of potato no more, especially after wolfing down so many of it during my first trimester with my third child).
recently he decided he wanted to have Mojos again (he's always looking for something to munch on while watching his favorite tv series T_T), so he handed me a recipe he found online and asked me to try it out and see, which required baking the potatoes first prior to frying. surprisingly, he likes how the potatoes turned out. i had to tweak it a little bit, because the recipe called for 6 big potatoes (takmo aku buat banyak2, nanti who gonna finish them??). so i'm jotting down here whatever i mixed into the seasoning below for future reference. i used local potatoes btw, i think if you use those russet ones or those bigger American ones, they'd taste even nicer? beats me =D.
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons thyme
1 teaspoon garlic powder
salt, to taste,
pepper, to taste
1/2 cup milk
1. Rub olive oil onto the potatoes, wrap in foil and bake the potatoes at 200 C for about 50 mins or so, let cool.
2. Cut the potato into slices (how big you want them to be is up to you)
3. Heat oil.
4. Mix the flour, cayenne, paprika, thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste (adjust the seasonings to your liking, which i did. paprika wasn't called for in the recipe but my husband likes it spicy, so...)
5. Combine the milk and egg. Dip each potato slice into mixture then dredge thoroughly in the seasoned flour mixture (the recipe didn't call for egg either, but i thought it to be weird to not have egg to dip in =P).
6. Deep fry the potatoes without overcrowding, until crisp and golden.
7. Drain on paper towels and serve.
8. Season with more salt if you prefer your potatoes saltier lol lol but if you're health-conscious, then by all means skip this part.
ta-da! ok fine so maybe the photo doesn't look too appealing (i've lost my touch with taking awesome photography lately) but the taste was not bad, in my opinion lah. haha. the husband polished the bowl clean and later asked for more -____-.