October 19, 2009

spotlight on these 3 carriers

i am still searching for the perfect SSC. i might have gone crazy on tbw, but surprisingly i couldn't, (no) thanks to no more $$ in my pocket, all going to my recently finished future home's installments and stupid cc (but that's a story i malas want to get into).

so... here are the recent carriers that i've tried. will give reviews on each of them when i have the time... i'm amidst CRs and documentations (my only projectmate took a week off from work so i jaga ship alone) and ensuring that my deskmate by all means do not surpass me in RC... (hahahahah keje bodo yet frustratingly annoying... shhh!). two of the carriers were on loan, the other recently arrived at my 'car door'. and might not be leaving for a while.

1) Beco 4th Generation in Dove print
(that's me at KLIA at 2 o'clock in the morning)


there was already a line of mamas wanting to try out this SSC (actually i was surprised humayra offered to let her Beco go travelling in the first place, haha). lix was the first to try it out. syaz, shida, and a friend of shida's were next. and then only me. it was quite a bargain for the person who chooses to buy it because humayra was selling it quite cheap to begin with. not to mentioned they're no longer in production. i wasn't interested in buying it because i actually preferred humayra's other Beco in Metropolis print (i'm picky on designs, lol) but i really wanted to try one IRL so that i wouldn't regret my decision if i were to buy one on an impulse without trying.

shida's friend had already decided to purchase the Beco but she was really sweet in sending it to me to try it out anyway (thanks darl!). i received it in the mail on the 6th this month. Significant Other took one look and was like, "beli lagi??" and i was like, "no no, pinjam only" *sweat* (he reacted like that last time when i brought back Syaz's Chococabana RS last time).

i didn't have the opportunity to wear it heavy duty because the occasion to wear it never came during the the short time it was with me. i had to return the Beco back to it's new owner, A by the 12th so i only had to make do with traipsing around my bedroom (mil would say all this is a waste of money, so i stayed within the safety of my own room) and the short trip to KLIA to send Significant Other off to the States (tak aciiiiii~). i was lucky A's husband happened to drop by KL, so i saved on shipping costs (*phew*).

i didn't have anything to compare it with, with this being my first carrier, so these are my thoughts on the Beco:

- i didn't know SSCs were heavy. what a doofus i was when i first held up the SSC in my own hands and i was like, wowee (bengong, ahahahhaha ok this doesn't count for a Beco review).

- the mamas before me complained that the Beco was abit big on them. i didn't really understand what they meant (only after i tried Syaz's SSC i understood, lol). basically i had to tighten all the buckles to their smallest setting.

- i thought the waist size at smallest setting was ok, but i noticed after a while, the waist padding tend to put pressure on my er, hip bone? (that protruding bone u can feel when you put your hands on your hips, hahaha). demn i must be too thin. chis.

- since i had to pull all the buckles to the smallest setting, i had excess of straps left over dangling like nobody's business. it seemed a little messy for me with dangling straps, so unflattering if you see me from the back (which is why i'm liking Syaz's SSC even more! lol)

- i think i used the chest strap wrongly. the chest strap was dangling loosely off the body straps when i first got it (which can easily get lost, i'd hate that if it ever were to happen) so i didn't really know how to use it. at the time i was wearing it in KLIA, i locked the chest strap at the base of the body straps (somewhere nearer to my waist). is this correct? macam tak betul je. kakakakkakaka.

- i think because of my blurness of how to use the chest strap, when i tried front carry using the SSC, the body straps seemed to always slip off my shoulders. pastu kene tarik2 adjust. then my daughter will get impatient and uncomfortable. and she'll insist on getting herself out of the carrier. haha. she doesn't like it if i stop and stand still (but this applies to any kind of carrier i'm wearing her in).

- the body straps seemed bulky, due to the padding i suppose. or probably because of the denim-like material? i dunno. i think i'm not a fan of denim when it comes to baby carriers.

- the body of the Beco seemed a abit too wide for me. at least, it felt like my daughter was drowning in it. not sure if it was because the carrier is big for me or my daughter is still too little, lol. when wearing the SSC can her arms be worn out of the SSC above the body straps? i mean not between the straps like how my daughter is wearing in the above photo. you can see most of her view is being blocked by the bulky straps. and the white thing in between is her Chewy. she insisted on bringing it along, lol (omg compared to Nita's Giraffe Beco, i look like a stick in a Beco, kekekekeke).

- i didn't have time to try out the hood. my daughter would hangin because that would mean i'd be blocking her view to the outside world, haha. she hasn't fallen asleep while being worn for quite a while now. i miss that =(.

- i had noone to help me try out back carry since Significant Other left for the States (has anyone done back carry with a squirmy baby/toddler without the help of anyone else? do tell me the technique). so before i returned it and with assistance only from my bed, i managed to wiggle my daughter into back carry position for a little while to test. she was intrigued at first, she's never been back carried before so i guess it's something new for her. then after a while she got restless so i had to bring her down. so i could only get a couple of photos with her face all scrunched up, heu~ in my hassle of getting her in it i didn't manage to use the chestbelt. grrr.

- a couple of photos of me doing the back carry (noone to help me means noone to take my photo either hahahahaha)


my verdict: although it may make a good carrier for more 'fleshier' mommies, i think i'd be better off passing this one.

2) Jumpsac Black Leaves SSC


i'll give a review on this one tomorrow yeah =D i got crappy work to do.

3) LE Mandarin Linen Indio 4.5
(by Didymos of Germany, very htf these days, huhu)


omg i can't tell you how much i love this one, it was like love at first sight. and fsot is a dangerous place and it's not for the faint hearted and empty purse. lol. i haven't used this thoroughly so i'm just gonna blog about how i came across this beauty (and how i never should attempt this again unless i'm really really made out of gold).

so i was browsing on fsot browsing through all the yummy-looking wraps online, and wishing i had enough pp to grab something when i first came across Shawnah's dyed mandarin linen up for sale. i loved how the light blue contrasted with the orange. at the time i though it was a bit too pricey so i thought i'd look for an undyed mandarin linen and do the dye job myself (hahaha, berangan gila, i have 0% knowledge on how to dye)(later on Shawnah had it redyed in a deeper shade of blue which i didn't really like).

so when i came across a mama who was selling hers (she wanted to raise pp for Kupfer linen), terus i agreed to buy it from her without thinking (oops T_T. i lost a quarz because of that, but malas wanna talk about it). so i was like yay! my first indio! and had it shipped to my friend in Texas, so i'd be getting it when she comes back for raya (thanks again, darl!). hani had a mandarin of her own and she was saying how nice and snuggly linens are. i had a violet waves on hand (which is still for sale, ahem ahem) and the material isn't really thin (probably because it wasn't made from linen, haha).

my thoughts on this particular type of wrap:

- the wrap was already soft and snuggly when i got it. it's a 4.5 and has middle markers, which makes it easier for me to determine the center of the wrap each time i use it. now i know why they say indio can get pulls very easily, due to its weave.

- the shade of orange is soOoooo soft! it even looks lovely in the above photo. agree? =P i snuggle with it to sleep =D i wonder if they have square indios... hmmm.

- the only carry i know at the moment is FWCC (seems easiest to try and most easiest since it's not a single layer carry). i have yet to attempt other carries because i'm afraid my daughter will pop out from under the wrap (if to attempt to use an SSC for back carry susah, i think matilah if i mau try to attempt the back carry on my own, kakakaka).

- i think the wrap is too long for my liking. i love tails, but too-long tails just make me feel like having tails of my own. haha. i might chop it later, we'll see. i have yet to find a technique to keep the tails off from the floor while attempting to wear it.

- i might try wrapping apart from inside the house if i go for long excursions outside =D maybe, who knows? like last Saturday during our walk we had two wrapping mamas, emiza (the current Queen of wrapping!) and syahidah (the newbie-turned-wrapping-expert-overnight) plus mazaa, who came just in time for photos! lol.


my verdict: every mama should at least try out wrapping, if not only once. it's so much fun since it has a big learning curve. and i shouldn't make wrapping a hobby. they're really expensive! :O

No comments: